Tuesday, May 24, 2011

There Are No Words

There are not enough words in the English language to express emotion. I don't know about other languages, you see, because learning a foreign language wasn't a requirement back in the day at my podunk H.S.. (However, there was a Speech class requirement, and oh how I loathed that class. So MUCH. Which has nothing to do with anything.)

Besides, who in fact 'learns' a foreign language in a couple of hours every other school day for 1-2 years? See, more words would have helped me shorten that last sentence. Interesting that knowing MORE words could help one be more concise.

I wish there were enough, or that I knew enough, words. I'm fairly certain the problem lies in the fact that I don't carry a thesaurus in my brain. That would certainly be useful/functional/advantageous/convenient/effective/commodious/etc. etc.. STILL...  Even with an inner cranial thesaurus I doubt that it is possible to express the subtle nuances of thought for anyone. I hope that Heaven has its own language.

There are so many times when I really have the need to describe my opinion or how I'm feeling and I have no words in my linguistical repertoire to do so. So I make up words, example: linguistical.

It is frustrating. The words, (supposing I had them), are on the tip of my tongue but apparently not in my brain, and I'm left scrambling to spit out something meaningful, anything to make my complicated thoughts understandable. Maybe then, people would WANT to listen instead of thinking they know what I'm going to say and cutting me off. It's like a constant giant 'talk to the hand' in front of my face. (Not that that bothers me. whatev.)

The best thing about this random post is the fact that I've said the same thing in 5 different paragraphs. It's all in the repetition folks. It's all me.



foofaraw: noun. 1. excessive or flashy ornamentation; a fuss over trivial matter. 2. A fuss over a matter of little importance.

"A somber, muted descending motif opens and closes the work, which is brief but effective. It provided much needed relief from the fanfares and foofaraw in which brass-going composers of so often indulge."

Who talks that way? I have to say, I'm jealous of anyone who can and does. 

You might say that I'm making a foofaraw over nothing. But that's only because I don't have the words to make myself clear. (Nor the magical powers.)

The View: Again. 

Sometimes a picture really is worth a 1000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment