Friday, May 13, 2011

Spring Has Sprung

Okay. Firstly, this blog design I got going on now is quite possibly the most ugliest blog composition ever. That makes me sad. So there.

Spring seems to have arrived! I'm totally crossing my fingers that it's here to stay, and it was with great joy that yesterday I took myself to the local nursery where I purchased vegetable & herb plants and a beautimous pot of flowers. Gotta be one of my most, if not THE most, favorite time of the year. Which is more than a little bit surprising considering how much I loathed, detested, abhorred, etc., etc, gardening in all its forms when I was younger. Yeah, yeah, I know, that was a LONG time ago. But you wait and see... You too will get old, (unless of course you already are old. If so, you know what I'm talking 'bout), and some kind of weird evolutionary thing kicks in and a desire builds up within you and you feel a burning need to get your hands dirty and grow your OWN FOOD. Too much? Someone a long time ago told me the same thing and I didn't believe them. Oh, the rich irony of life.

And this year I have been so extremely anxious for spring to get its butt into town. Into Highlandia. Which is what I'm going to call Highland from now on, ever since Jake coined the term. The other day I said Highland, only I said it like HighLAND, instead of HIGHland, and I had a good chuckle with myself. Those are the best kind, am I right?

Beautiful, no?, didn't I tell ya? (btw, do you ever wonder who the heck I think I'm talking to?). (Me too.)

Over the years my moods have more and more begun to reflect the weather. I didn't even believe the whole SAD thing. I rather liked rainy days, I LIKED the way they made me feel. Cozy, safe, with an inexplicable urge to bake cookies. NOW though, I feel a weight pressing me down and my thoughts become dreary and hopeless. Doesn't help that this winter has been one cheerless day after another. In other words it's been raining and/or snowing almost every day. Lit-ra-ly.

So is it any WONDER that I am excited to see the SUN? Even if I don't go outside, I feel the effects of it's magic charmedness on my heart and soul.

Oddly though, I don't like to be hot. So I need all the warmth of the sun I can soak in, with temps in the low '70's. Is that too much to ask?

Today was an outside day for sure. I'd say perfect. PERFECT. That's what I'm blogging about foo.

When our yard was landscaped we had 3 grow boxes put in. The yard. "Grow Boxes" is a fancy term to describe a garden. It just has tiny walls surrounding its perimeter. I've been excited about those boxes for months. We had no garden, let alone grow boxes, at our last house. (5 years) I had one grow box at the house on Ridge Rd. LOVED it. But all we planted in the one box were tomatoes and zucchini, with an occasional pumpkin. While those remain my two top picks, and of course I'm planting them, but I also picked up a watermelon plant, some hot peppers, some other stuff I'm forgetting now, and on top of all that I will be planting a HERB GARDEN. I don't care if I use one single herb; I'll just go out and smell them once in a while. Heavenly.

SO... today I prepped the soil. Can you tell this made me happy? Equal parts peat moss, manure, and vermiculite added to the boxes equaled sheer joy. A lot of sweat too, but that's half the therapy I suppose. Will be planting the actual factual plants soon.

Pictures? OF COURSE.  Rule of thirds? Shut it.











Too happy? You decide. And then tell me how to get some people to be readin' this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment